Triumph Motorbikes & Motorcycles
The Triumph TR5 Trophy
The Triumph TR5 Trophy was a British motorcycle made by Triumph Motorcycles at their Meriden factory. Based on the Triumph Speed Twin, the TR5 was a trials machine designed for off road use with a high level two into one exhaust and good handling on public roads. The name 'Trophy' came from the three 'specials' that Triumph built for the Italian International Six Day Trials in 1948, which went on to win three gold medals and the manufacturers team trophy. Featuring prominently in the AMC "Class C" racing until 1969, the American export models included components from the Triumph Tiger 100 to create a motorcycle for desert competition.
From 1951 the 498cc engine (used as aircraft generators during World War II was updated with a new alloy barrels and heads. The TR5 was replaced with a new range of unit construction twins in 1959. The Trophy name was resurrected for the Triumph TR6 Trophy in 1970 and the Trophy 500 (T100C) in 1971, which in turn was replaced by the Triumph Trophy Trail (TR5T) in 1973. The Hinckley Triumph company used the Trophy name for the Triumph Trophy 900 and Triumph Trophy 1200 models.